Winkin', Blinkin', and Nod, NPM



Two out of the three poems I have posted this week I first heard on a movie. That is also the case with today's poem. This is the poem that Mrs. Wilson recited to Dennis on the "Dennis the Menace" movie. I remember sitting in front of the TV and rewinding that part over and over until I got all of the words down. Then I memorized it, and sometimes when I couldn't fall asleep at night, I would recite it to myself. I've since discovered that there are two more verses that I have yet to learn.


Winkin', Blinkin', and Nod
By: Wendy A. Lawson

Winkin', Blinkin', and Nod, one night sailed off in a wooden shoe;
Sailed off on a river of crystal light into a sea of dew.
"Where are you going and what do you wish?" the old moon asked the three.
"We've come to fish for the herring fish that live in this beautiful sea.
Nets of silver and gold have we," said Winkin', Blinkin', and Nod.

The old moon laughed and sang a song as they rocked in the wooden shoe.
And the wind that sped them all night long ruffled the waves of dew.
Now the little stars are the herring fish that live in that beautiful sea;
"Cast your nets wherever you wish never afraid are we!"
So cried the stars to the fishermen three - Winkin', and Blinkin', and Nod.

So all night long their nets they threw to the stars in the twinkling foam.
'Til down from the skies came the wooden shoe bringing the fisherman home.
'Twas all so pretty a sail it seemed as if it could not be.
Some folks say 'twas a dream they dreamed of sailing that misty sea.
But I shall name you the fisherman three - Winkin', Blinkin', and Nod.

Now Winkin' and Blinkin' are two little eyes and Nod is a little head.
And the wooden shoe that sailed the skies is a wee one's trundle bed.
So close your eyes while mother sings of the wonderful sights that be.
And you shall see those beautiful things as you sail on the misty sea,
Where the old shoe rocked the fishermen three - Winkin', Blinkin', and Nod.

Go visit this site to find out more about NPM.

1 comment:

  1. That is so funny! I did the exact same thing. I didn't know there were two other verses either. I just loved the way Mrs. Wilson recited it ... makes a person wish she was their Mom/Aunt/Grandma. :)

    A beautiful poem.

    ReplyDelete

Leave a comment...I'd love to hear {read/see?} your thoughts!