I found this recipe for this Chocolate Turtle Cake
over at Visions of Sugar Plum.
Being a lover of Turtle candy and all things
chocolate & caramel, I had to try this recipe.
With this cake, you get a triple dose of chocolate,
with plenty of pecans and caramel.
It was so delicious!
Chocolate Turtle Cake
(Recipe by Visions of Sugar Plum)
Makes: 8-10 servings
Makes: 8-10 servings
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup dark or regular cocoa powder
- 2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips, melted
- 1 1/3 cups whole milk
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped pecans, toasted, plus additional whole pecans for decorating
- 1 tablespoon mini chocolate chips (optional)
- Caramel sauce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Butter and flour 2 (9-inch) cake pans.
In a medium sized mixing bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
- In a large mixing bowl, using a mixer on medium speed, beat 3/4 cup butter, brown sugar, granulated sugar and vanilla, until creamy, about 2 minutes.
- Beat in eggs, one at a time, until well combined.
- Beat in 1 cup melted chocolate chips until combined.
- Reduce mixer speed to low and beat in flour mixture, alternating with milk, until well combined, about 2-3 minutes.
- Evenly scrape batter into prepared cake pans and smooth the surface with a spatula.
- Bake at 350 degrees F, for 35-40 minutes, or until cake edges pull away from the pan, and a toothpick inserted into cake comes out with moist crumbs attached.
- Cool for 12 minutes before running a knife around edges and inverting onto wire racks to cool completely.
- To make the ganache, melt 1/4 cup butter in a small saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir in heavy cream and bring to a boil; turn heat off and stir in 2 cups chocolate chips until melted and smooth.
- Spread ganache evenly onto first layer of cake and top with about 1/3 of the pecans.
- Place second cake layer on top.
- Spread the rest of the ganache over cake top and sides.
- Sprinkle and top with remaining pecans.
- Decorate the top with whole pecans.
- Sprinkle mini chocolate chips over the top, and drizzle caramel everywhere.