Coming Home


A few weeks ago, around Memorial Day, The Pioneer Woman gave out a photography assignment. The subject: Coming Home. This subject came about from the previous subject which was Happiness {many photos of men & women coming home from overseas, which fell under this subject, were submitted}. I know I am not the only one touched by this series of photos. I'm not ashamed to say I was moved to tears on numerous occasions.

I wanted to submit a photo for this assignment. My brother-in-law is in the National Guard, & over a year ago he was in Iraq. I was not there, though, when he came home, so I had not pictures of him "coming home".


Then I remembered the above picture.


Pictured in the above photo is my Grandaddy {far right} & his three brothers, Johnnie, Willie & McKinley. This photo was taken after World War II. My Grandaddy and his three brothers all fought in the war. When they came home, the newspaper did an article about these four young men. They interviewed my great-grandmother and she told how she was blessed because four of her six sons went to war, and all four of her sons came home safe.

I've always loved to hear my Grandaddy & Uncle Johnnie tell stories about old times. I especially love hearing Grandaddy talk about his times stationed on Attu Island. And I'll always cherish this picture of these four brave men. I am forever grateful that they were able to come back home!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a comment...I'd love to hear {read/see?} your thoughts!